You love eating fresh fruits and love how to make fruits into wonderful, incredible dishes for your friends and family? Peach is a tasty fruit for you to choose. But do you really know “How to peel peaches properly“? Every time you try to eat it, you have a hard time peeling its skin off? Then this article is perfect for you, Spice Kitchen & Bar will bring to you the three effective ways to peel peaches via this article.
- How to Peel Peaches?
- Why do We Need to Peel a Peach’s Skin?
- Make Sure Your Peaches are Ripe Before Peeling It
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Peel Peaches?
Three effective ways to peel peaches:
- Boiling before peeling peach
- Using vegetable peeler
- Using a paring knife
In this article, we will guide and help you through three easy and effective ways to peel peaches. In the past, you might find it hard to peel this fruit to make salads, pies, cobbler and canning. But no worries, we will definitely help you enjoy eating and making this wonderful fruit after this article.
Boiling before peeling peaches skin
This is a quick and easy method to peel off the peach skin. What you need to do is boil water, then your peaches are soaked in the hot water and then immersed in an ice bath. This simple process can help you peel the skin right off and you can also easily pit and slice your peaches to cook. Follow our instructions and you will know the easiest way to peel peaches.
- Step 1 (Boil water): Before boiling your peaches, remember to score a small “X” in the bottom of the peaches for easy peeling. Boil your water and then let the peaches soak in hot water for 10-20 seconds. Generally you should boil about 2 or 3 peaches at a time, boiling too many can be hard for you to keep track of the condition of your peaches.
- Step 2 (Immersed in an ice bath): After boiling for no more than 20 seconds, immediately immerse your newly hot peaches in an ice bath. Let it soak until cool off enough to touch.
- Step 3 (Peel): Starting from the “X” in the bottom that you scored before boiling it. Using a paring knife and begin to peel off the skin carefully, keep doing it until the skin is completely peeled off.
When you are done peeling the skin, you just need to cut the peaches in half and then start to remove the pit. When the pit is out, you can slice your newly and freshly peeled peaches.
Using vegetable peeler
Please note that this method will be a bit slower and more tedious than the boiling method.
- First, please place your vegetable peeler towards the stem end of the peach.
- Press the vegetable peeler into the peach with light but firm pressure while pulling down to remove the skin. Take note that you can also rotate the peach for easy peeling.
- Repeat this process until your peaches are fully peeled.
Using sparing knife
This method can be a little hard for some of you but it still works well if you don’t prefer other methods.
- Using a paring knife, pierce the peach skin from top to bottom. Remember to rotate your peach in your hand. Keep repeating doing this on the other side of the peach until the skin is pierced in four different sections.
- Then place the knife on top of the peach, start to pull downward to remove the skin. Repeat this in four sections to peel the skin.
Why do We Need to Peel a Peach’s Skin?
Many fruits can be eaten without peeling the skin, then can we eat peach skin? The answer is yes. In fact, peach skin is healthy and safe to eat for most people, it also contains high fiber, and antioxidants.
However, you have to consider the fact that peach skin can also contain more pesticides than the flesh. That’s why most of the time we need to peel peach skin off before eating or cooking it. You can also choose organic peaches so that you can eat without peeling.
Make Sure Your Peaches are Ripe Before Peeling It
Please take a careful note that your peaches need to be ripe before you start peeling them. Unripe peaches will have a hard time peeling off the skin. There are some typical tips for you to choose the ripe peaches:
- Look at the colour and shape of the peaches. A ripe peach will have a reddish-yellow hue, if you see any green remaining it means that the peach is not fully ripe yet. Pay attention to the shape of the peach, it will have a round shape. Please avoid choosing a peach with wrinkles or bruises, it may be a sign of overripe or damaged.
- Pay attention to how soft your peaches are and how good its smell is. Press your finger slightly to check and make sure that the peaches are not too soft. A perfectly ripe peach will have a lovely aroma.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I eat peaches without peeling?
Yes, as we mentioned above, you can choose organic peaches to eat and cook without peeling the skin off so that you don’t waste the vitamins and minerals that are contained inside the peach skin. But please make sure that you actually choose organic peaches, normal peaches can contain pesticides that can be harmful for your health.
2. Are there any other ways to peel off the peach skin?
In this article, we show you the most effective and easiest ways to peel off the skin. This leads to the fact that we show you all of the ways to peel off the skin, so there should be no other method for you to use.
3. Will these peeling methods work with other stone fruits?
Yes, it will. Other fruits that are related to peaches such as nectarines, plums, or apricots can all use the boiling method to peel off their skin.
4. Can I peel white or yellow peaches with these methods?
Yes, you can. White or yellow peaches can also be peeled off the skin with the boiling method or you can also use the vegetable peeler.
5. What recipes can I cook with fresh, peeled peaches?
There are many recipes for you to cook with this wonderful fruit. Peaches can turn into an incredible healthy snack for you. You can also make it into a salad for your healthy and diet meal or turn it into an ingredient for your dessert while making pies.
Peaches are wonderful fruit, it contains vitamins and minerals that your body requires. Eating peaches can help you have a healthy life, but when you eat, you may not know how to peel the skin and eat your fruits properly. With this article, we hope to provide you three effective ways to peel your peach skin.