The under cabinet microwave oven is the perfect solution for any homeowner who has limited space. The sleek design of this appliance makes it an attractive addition to any kitchen, and the compact size saves you from having to worry about where to store your new device. Furthermore, some models are designed with a venting system that can be installed directly into your existing cabinet. This means that there is no need for additional ventilation in order to install one of these microwaves!
The best under cabinet microwave ovens will be large and powerful enough to cook a meal for an entire family, yet small enough to fit in even the tiniest kitchen. Our top pick includes 10 power levels with pre-programmed settings for defrosting, reheating, cooking dinner rolls, or pizza crust. It also has a sleek black finish that will look great in any kitchen!
The search for the perfect under cabinet microwave can be daunting. We’ve done all of the hard work so you don’t have to – read on to find out more about our favorite picks.
- What is an Under Cabinet Microwave Oven?
- Types of Under Cabinet Microwaves
- List of 9 Best Under Cabinet Microwave Ovens Reviews
- 1. FRIGIDAIRE FGMV17WNVF Over the Range Microwave Oven
- 2. GE Appliances JEM3072SHSS Microwave Oven
- 3. Cosmo COS-3016ORM1SS Over the Range Microwave Oven
- 4. Summit Appliance MHOTR24SS Over-the-Range Microwave
- 5. Sharp SMO1652DS Over The Range Microwave Oven
- 6. Toshiba EM131A5C-SS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
- 7. Sharp R-1514 1-1/2-Cubic-Foot 1000-Watt Over-the-Range Microwave
- 8. RCA RMW1630 Over-The-Range Microwave Oven
- 9. Panasonic NN-SN67K Compact Microwave Oven
- What Things Should You Consider Before Buying the Best Under Cabinet Microwave Oven?
- How To Install An Under The Cabinet Microwave
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is an Under Cabinet Microwave Oven?
An under cabinet microwave oven (also known as an in-cabinet or under-cabinet) is a standard microwave oven that has been modified to fit inside the kitchen cabinetry. This modification usually involves cutting holes into the bottom of the cabinets, bolting/screwing together the brackets, and then attaching the microwave itself.
While this modification requires some work on your part, you’ll benefit from the convenience and flexibility that an in-cabinet microwave provides. You can place your oven anywhere in your kitchen, high or low, without having to worry about taking up counter space. Another benefit is that you’ll no longer have to listen to loud beeping noises while cooking because the “start” button is conveniently located inside the cabinet. And lastly, since it’s hidden from plain sight, you can get rid of old technology like an exhaust fan, exhaust hose, or sliding drawers.
How Does It Work?
Most microwaves designed to be mounted under cabinets come with built-in emitters which allow them to heat up quickly; this means that there is no need for a turntable allowing for better cooking results since all food items can receive equal attention from the microwaves being emitted.
Types of Under Cabinet Microwaves
There are three main types of under cabinet microwaves. Each type targets a specific need within the context of an under cabinet microwave oven. They are as follows: Over-the-Range Microwaves, Ventless Microwaves, and Integrated Microwave Ovens.
These units attach to your ceiling or wall above your stovetop, usually within arms reach over where you would normally be cooking food. They work just like under cabinet microwaves with one difference; they can vent their fumes directly outside so you don’t have to worry about ventilation when using them while cooking food on your stovetop! Be careful though, some of them can be almost as loud as a typical under cabinet microwave oven due to their powerful vent fans!
These units are designed specifically for homes and apartments that do not allow for standard vented microwaves. That is why they are called ‘ventless’ microwaves: instead of utilizing a vented, outside-the-home venting system, they use a small electric air pump that pulls the fumes and steam down into the cooktop where it dissipates safely. Keep in mind though; these units can be louder than your average under cabinet microwave oven due to their loud internal fans!
Integrated Microwave Ovens
These are the most beautiful style of microwaves. They mount seamlessly within your existing cabinetry and utilize an embedded probe that extends inside the cabinet so you don’t have to worry about bending, reaching, or smudging grease all over your new microwave. You can pull out this hidden drawer and place your dish on it while microwaving. When you close the drawer to start cooking food, a light goes off letting you know it is running and when it’s done cooking, the drawer automatically slides back open so you can retrieve your food!
List of 9 Best Under Cabinet Microwave Ovens Reviews
1. FRIGIDAIRE FGMV17WNVF Over the Range Microwave Oven
- The Frigidaire FGMV17WNVF Over the Range Microwave Oven is perfect for small spaces. It includes an Effortless Clean Interior surface that helps clean up any messes during cooking, while Sensor Cooking technology automatically adjusts power levels and cooking times so it’s simple to prepare your favorite dishes with ease. With over 30 options available for this best under cabinet microwave oven including Chicken Nuggets and Snacks, there’s no doubt that this kitchen appliance will become a staple in any home.
- The TRUenergy Star qualified FGMV17WNVF offers a variety of features including Effortless Clean Interior, Sensor Cooking, 10 Power Levels, and 11 Auto-cooking options. Convenient preset buttons allow you to cook popular menu items with no guesswork needed!
- Relax and enjoy your meal or snack without having to hover over the oven as LED lighting gives you a clear view of your cooktop. With an easy-to-use interface and impressive cooking performance, this unit brings ease and convenience into everyday cooking for any busy family.
2. GE Appliances JEM3072SHSS Microwave Oven
- With space for your dishes and a sleek modern look, the GE JEM3072SHSS Microwave looks great on any countertop. It makes great home-cooked meals even better because it heats up quickly and evenly so food doesn’t dry out or stick to the sides.
- It’s easy to use too – just push one button for simple cooking controls, choose preset times for perfect poached eggs, melt butter, or grated cheese with its quick pulses of high waves. Whether you’re looking for increased style points in the kitchen or weekly meal prep that saves time, the under cabinet microwave is sure to meet all of your needs!
- The GE Appliances JEM3072SHSS microwave oven has convenient cooking controls to help you cook just the way you want. With auto and time defrost, it can be fast and easy to defrost whichever food item you’re looking to heat up. This unit comes with a turntable for even heating – no more burnt edges. It fits nicely in small kitchens or on countertops, measuring 17 1/4 inches wide overall.
3. Cosmo COS-3016ORM1SS Over the Range Microwave Oven
- For precise meal-cooking results, you can’t do better than the Cosmo COS-3016ORM1SS. Ten power levels provide you with precise control over your cooking times so dinner is delicious every time! A powerful 1.6 cubic ft. oven cavity fits large casserole dishes or other larger meals easily, and its touch presets help take all of the guesswork out of heating up leftovers or making crispy popcorn! If precision temperature control is what you seek for great cooking results, look no further than the Cosmo COS-3016ORM1SS microwave oven!
- Featuring Sensor Reheat and Cook Modes, you can finally get dinner on the table without having to set an alarm for two hours later! With 20 preset cooking menus, nine sensor cook options including popcorn and potato chips, four auto cook settings – after adding food simply press start then once it’s done, it will automatically stop. You won’t miss peanut butter toast again with built-in timers that time how long food has been reheated or cooked plus memory plus variances making sure you get consistent results every time.
4. Summit Appliance MHOTR24SS Over-the-Range Microwave
- The Summit Appliance MHOTR24SS Over-the-Range Microwave is a smart purchase! This unit has washer and dryer connections, ventilation for small kitchens, and comes with a charcoal filter to help absorb smoke and odors. Whether you’re using it for reheating meals or baking foods like pies and cakes, this best under cabinet microwave will make your kitchen convenient while also saving energy.
- This is the perfect appliance for the modern kitchen. The Summit Appliance MHOTR24SS Over-the-Range Microwave’s black glass finish is sleek and sophisticated, while its top and bottom stainless steel accents add an air of luxury to any space.
- Whether you want to enjoy your favorite frozen meal or quickly warm up some soup in minutes with this over-the-range microwave, it will fulfill all your eating desires. With two removable aluminum filters on each side to help absorb odors in the oven, you won’t even be able to tell what you were cooking last thanks to patented technology!
5. Sharp SMO1652DS Over The Range Microwave Oven
- The powerful, 2-speed ventilating system of this Sharp SMO1652DS Over The Range Microwave Oven can produce as much as 300 cu. ft. per minute and has an energy-efficient LED lighting inside the cavity to provide perfect visibility for cooking, 10 power levels that include a “keep warm” cycle and a 30-sec quick start function that offers instant heating should you need to whip up something in a hurry and its flexible interior cavity with 19.8 x 10 x 14.9-inch dimensions allow for easy expansion if needed throughout your cooking needs.
- You can cook with this microwave from crisp onions to chewy veggies, from frozen pizza to hot pockets. This under cabinet microwave oven is smart. It can even cook a frozen dinner in one easy step using its defrost option so you don’t have to thaw anything out beforehand!
- The dual selector lets you choose just how much time you want your food cooked for and it has 1000 watts of cooking power- enough for most dishes, big or small. Top it off with a clean kitchen by adding handy Clear and Simple Controls that show all cooking modes on one screen-so simple!
6. Toshiba EM131A5C-SS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor
- The Toshiba EM131A5C-SS Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor is a stylish and sophisticated under cabinet microwave oven appliance perfect for heating up food. From healthy fresh vegetables to microwaveable popcorn, this oven can do it all. The sensor menu provides you with pre-programmed settings for popular foods such as pizza, potatoes, and vegetables.
- No matter the size of your dish or your desired goal in terms of texture – moist or crispy – one touch gives you the best result every time because each button has been carefully programmed just for that specific kind of food!
- The EM131A5C-SS from Toshiba is a full-sized, 1100 watt microwave oven with 10 power levels to cook your favorite food just the way you like. With a bright digital display and handy timer settings, it’s simple to monitor the time while using the stove or doing other work in the kitchen.
- The Smart Sensor automatically adjusts cooking times for more accurate results based on how much of an item is being cooked-so if you’ve found that crispy edges are more desirable than moist ones, try having some potato chips without microwaving them this time-just add some seasoning and crisp them yourself!
7. Sharp R-1514 1-1/2-Cubic-Foot 1000-Watt Over-the-Range Microwave
- If you’re tired of not having enough space or an oven in your kitchen, then check out the Sharp R-1514. This 1000 watt 1-1/2 cubic foot model is also large! With its 14 inch turntable, you can defrost three 17 inch pizzas at once, but it won’t touch your cabinets thanks to built-in exhaust vents.
- And with 19 automatic settings, there’s no guessing about cooking time-for everything from frozen pizza beads to french fries, you get perfectly cooked food every time. Why worry anymore when the heat is auto-controlled!
- The Sharp R-1514 is an over-the-range microwave that will meet all of your cooking needs. With 11 sensor settings for the most popular microwaved foods, you can make a wide variety of fattening and delectable dishes in the convenience of your kitchen! The auto touch control panel is easy to use and has an LED display that shows all the right information at a glance.
8. RCA RMW1630 Over-The-Range Microwave Oven
- This best under cabinet microwave oven will ensure that your food is fully cooked without overcooking. Enjoy cooking large recipes or making many dishes at once with this powerful, ventilated appliance. Designed to fit over top kitchen cabinets for convenience and providing 2-speed ventilation. The sleek white design fits seamlessly into any decor you have in mind!
- With 10 professional one-touch cooking menus, there’s always a way to cook what you want quickly and easily thanks to the easy-to-read backlit LCD display which adjusts automatically its brightness based on ambient light conditions so it can be clearly read from all angles.
- The RCA RMW1630 is this summer’s must-have for tight cabinets that don’t have the space to store an old-fashioned stove. With a sleek, generous light and child lock feature, you can safely go about your business inside and outside of the kitchen while ensuring your little one stays safe.
- With many easy-to-use features including quick touch cooking menus and an adjustable thermostat, this microwave oven has it all! As if those features aren’t enough already, just check out those cool twin halogen lamps that give off enough artificial natural lighting to see everything in its true hue without too much trouble or eye strain.
9. Panasonic NN-SN67K Compact Microwave Oven
- The Panasonic NN-SN67K Microwave Oven is a versatile product that lets you cook perfectly without having to play the guessing game. This beauty looks sharp on your countertop, but it can’t be missed by customers because of its bright blue LED control panel and stainless steel finish.
- Kick back and let this oven do all of the tough work or take charge with easy access buttons and spacious 11 power levels for perfect cooking every time. With features like easy cleaning and an auto/manual function, we guarantee everything will go smoothly in your kitchen now that the Popcorn Button has been added to make you some fresh, delicious popcorn as soon as possible!
- Get great-tasting, quick meals with Panasonic NN-SN67K Compact Microwave Oven! This intelligent appliance takes the guesswork out of cooking so your food tastes amazing every time. Automatically adjust power and times to take advantage of Smart Cooking settings to prepare a variety of healthy dishes.
- Plus, sixteen sensor cook settings give you an edge in the kitchen by using specific temps and fan levels for a range of foods without compromising flavor or texture. Keep your favorite foods tasty with Sensor Reheat that evenly warms food from inside out then during Turbo Defrost all flavors are locked in as nutrients and texture is retained.
What Things Should You Consider Before Buying the Best Under Cabinet Microwave Oven?
Before making any purchase always know the space available for microwave installation and measure it first. Check if there is enough room on top of the cabinet for installing an under cabinet microwave oven. If your microwave oven does not fit under your cupboard we recommend you choose the oven microwave instead.
Choose an under cabinet microwave that has higher power than your traditional built-in ovens, because you will never have a full view of where the food is being cooked when installed inside a cabinet. Most microwaves have at least 1,200 watts or more so they can reach the cooking temperatures required to cook different types of foods in a short amount of time.
If you want to see what’s going on inside the microwave while it is running then this feature is important to consider before buying. Luckily modern microwaves come with interior lighting and it’s usually placed on the top part of the unit under the ceiling.
This is a great feature for families with kids, to avoid unexpected accidents. In most cases you will be able to lock both door handles so no one can open them while cooking is in progress. They are available as soon as the microwave starts running or after a certain time interval. If your child stands right below the microwave when it starts cooking, he/she can get serious burns from steam that comes out during operation, so consider buying a safety device to protect your family from any harm caused by a microwave oven.
This feature simply lets you operate a microwave oven from a distance, so you don’t have to stay close to it while cooking. The range of modern remote controls can be as far as 30 feet; this is great for people who want something done without leaving their guests alone in the dining room or living room. And kids love using this feature too since they feel like grown-ups when operating the under cabinet microwaves! Also don’t forget that most microwaves come with child lock and turntable on/off features; both make running a microwave oven safe for younger children.
Some people really don’t like touching electronic buttons to operate a unit, so for them, microwave ovens with touch-screen controls are the best choice available. These types of microwaves come inbuilt with all basic operations, such as time and power level settings. You can do anything by just tapping on it; no need to press buttons at all. So if you put your food in and want 5 minutes of cooking time, simply tap the “5 Minute” button, and when the food is ready your microwave beeps letting you know there’s no need to open it since it stops automatically! And cleaning under these cabinets is easy too because nothing gets burnt or stuck inside.
Nowadays most microwaves have one-touch settings for common foods but remember not to use them if you are cooking anything without a microwave-safe container. Also, don’t forget about turntables that are included in most microwaves; rotate the food 180 degrees every 30 seconds or so to avoid burning one side of your meal.
If you’re using only half of the open space then it’s best to turn off the turntable by simply pressing a button inside the microwave oven. Also can be turned on or off through remote controls too! The main purpose of the turntable is to keep your food rotating all-around at regular intervals while cooking, this prevents hot and cold spots from forming which could burn some parts of your meal.
Microwaves vary in price depending on size, power level, and additional features like child locks, but generally, you should expect to pay at least $100 for any decent model. Also, check if you’re under cabinet microwaves are Energy Star certified; these appliances are more energy-efficient than regular models, so they help you save money on your electric bills! For example, an oven that consumes 1 kilowatt per hour (kWh) running costs around 54 cents for every additional 100 hours of use. So keep this figure in mind when buying a microwave oven; maybe it’s worth spending extra money upfront to save cash over the years?
How To Install An Under The Cabinet Microwave
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What size is an under cabinet microwave?
We’ve done some research to find out what the most popular microwave sizes are for under cabinet microwaves. The information below is based on averages by product type, but please note that due to different dimensions in your cabinets it can be difficult to predict which size will fit your space the best. Some of the most common sizes we found were:
- Small under-cabinet models – 9 inches wide and 1/1/4 inches deep (roughly 7 – 10 cup capacity)
- Medium under-cabinet models – 11 inches wide and 1 inch deep (roughly 12 – 15 cup capacity)
- Large under-cabinet models – 14 inches wide and 1 inch deep (roughly 20+ cup capacity)
- The largest under-cabinet microwaves on the market today are about 18 inches wide.
We’ve compiled a list below of all of the under-cabinet microwaves that we offer, which includes measurements for each model. You can use this information to estimate if one might work in your space. Keep in mind that you will need around 4″ – 5″ of additional space above the microwave (for ventilation purposes).
Please note: This is only an estimate based on product dimensions, but there are many different cabinet sizes and not all models may fit with your specific cabinets.
2. What are the benefits of an under cabinet microwave?
The benefits of under cabinet microwaves are that they mount under the counter and out of sight, therefore freeing up space on your worktop. You can choose to have them flush-mounted or semi-flush mounted – depending on the style you like best. The main benefit of a semi-flush mount is that there’s no need for raised handles and it looks aesthetically pleasing (but not as stylish as those who only take the handle into account will tell you). It also means that there’s more room below due to having less height than a full flush mount microwave, which generally measures around 40cm high, although exceptions exist.
Of course, under cabinet microwaves aren’t just about practicality; many people love their hidden convenience and appreciate the lack of clutter on their work surface. They can be free-standing or integrated into fitting cupboards that match your kitchen units, which means more flexibility when it comes to matching different appliances and create a uniform look across your home.
3. How many watts does an under cabinet microwave need?
Under-cabinet microwaves come in all shapes and sizes so there’s one for everyone. The main thing you’ll want to consider is how powerful its output needs to be; most models will be anywhere between 700W and 1000W, with exceptions on both ends of the scale depending on preference: some people prefer a light 150W model while others would only consider a high-powered 1700W or even 2000W appliance (note that those kinds of power outputs are only found in commercial-style microwaves).
Actual power usage depends on how much cooking you’re looking to do. For light tasks like heating leftovers or thawing frozen food by zapping for a few minutes at a time, any size should do; however, if you’re considering doing more tasks like grilling sandwiches or popping popcorn, look for an appliance at 700W or more. To give you a better idea, here’s a list of common tasks and the approximate power requirement for each:
- Microwave general – 700W to 1000W
- Popcorn – about 800W
- Bagel – between 900W and 1100W
- Sandwich grill – around 900W
- All frozen foods from fridge temp – about 1000W
- Most frozen foods from the freezer (20°F/-6°C) – up to 1250W
- Thawing of all sizes poultry or beef by microwave oven (20°F/-6°C) – 1300 to 1400 W
- Reheating of any size casseroles (50°F/10°C) in 8 min using the conventional oven – 1400W
- Reheating of any size casseroles (50°F/10°C) in 8 min using microwave oven – well below 800W
- Reheating of any size casserole (50°F/10°C) in 8 min using the conventional oven – 1400W
- Reheating of any size casserole (50°F/10°C) in 8 min using microwave oven – well below 800W
According to a federal government study, an average household will see its energy bills increase by hundreds of dollars per year if it switches from a traditional range to a built-in microwave. However, you can recoup some money back by choosing a high- model that uses less power than your range. When shopping for a new microwave, look for one that uses at least 1000 watts of power although 1500 watts is recommended if you plan on doing any cooking or baking in your oven.
The search for the perfect under cabinet microwave can be daunting. From deciding on a budget to figuring out your specific needs, there are plenty of things to consider when looking at kitchen appliances. We’ve done all of the hard work so you don’t have to – read on to find out more about our favorite picks.
One thing we think is important is that the best under cabinet microwave oven should not only look great but also fit in with your current décor and style preferences, whether it’s retro or modern-day chic!